Job Reference: 300/PB
Rate: £10.75 Per Hour
Permanent, Full-time - 40 hours
Group Business or Area: Operational Services
Location: Commercial Services Group, Abbey Wood Road, Kings Hill, Kent, ME19 4YT
Closing Date: 20 May 2022
Interview Date: TBA
Commercial Services Group manages five waste sites across West Kent on behalf of Kent County Council whereby we provide the public with local recycling facilities. We have new vacancies as Plant Operators (including duel role as Site Operative) at the site in Dartford and we are looking to recruit people with the ability to operate plant (e.g. a material handler) to load bulk freighters onsite whilst also undertaking the role of site operative which includes delivering excellent customer service skills and those with the ability to work outside in all weather conditions (appropriate PPE will be provided).
If you have experience of either working in a Waste Management Environment or are looking for a new challenge and wish to join our team, then please apply and we look forward to hearing from you.
A Bit About Us
Commercial Services is one of the largest trading organisations of its kind in the UK. With its Schools Supplies Division set up nearly 70 years ago by Kent County Council, it has grown organically to become one of the leading suppliers of products and services to other publicly funded organisations.
Since creating a private limited company corporate structure, wholly-owned by the local authority, Commercial Services is aligned to seizing opportunities for further growth beyond its established customer base and diverse markets.
- To operate site plant in accordance with best practice and to load various bulk freighters with waste materials onsite in a safe and efficient manner
- To ensure that all pre-use checks and inspections are conducted before and after each shift, and as per our site procedures, logging any faults or issues with the site manager/team leader immediately.
- To report any damage to the plant or to the bulk freighters immediately to the site manager/team leader to investigate and manage in accordance with our site procedures.
- To engage with our customers, members of the public, to inform them about the range of recycling facilities available onsite and how to appropriately recycle or dispose of their materials they bring to the local site.
- To safely and efficiently operate the site in accordance with our site policies and procedures, ensuring all site visitors follow our rules and work effectively as part of a small operational team onsite to deliver a high customer satisfaction to all site visitors.
- The role involves undertaking duties which include Health and Safety, therefore a good knowledge within the waste management environment is desirable, however training will be provided.
- The ability to start work before 7am, when required, is essential as you may be required to open the site in preparation for the operational day, therefore we are looking for staff who are punctual and trustworthy.
- Engage with all customers visiting the site and inform them about the recyclable facilities available onsite and how to appropriately dispose of or recycle their materials.
- Provide support to all other colleagues with operations onsite, including covering or managing the site booking system used for all visiting customers to managing the chargeable waste area.
- Adhere to our site rules and policies and ensure all site users follow the appropriate procedures and report all concerns to site manager/team leader immediately.
- Handle all incidents and accidents in accordance with site procedures and report them to the site management/team leader.
- Unlock the site if a keyholder, and unlock containers at start of day, and lock up at end of day
- Complete site paperwork in accordance with site procedures, including the completion of waste transfer notes for authorised loads of waste leaving the site.
- Ensure that current copies of LOLER certification and operator competence are available for inspection at all times when on site.
- Ensure the plant machinery is kept clean inside and out.
- Maintain a high level of site cleanliness at all time, with duties including litter picking, sweeping the site and handling any spillages on site in accordance with our site procedures.
- Ability to operate plant (e.g. a material handler) to load artic vehicles onsite and conduct pre-safety checks and inspections of plant.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions (appropriate PPE is provided).
- Ability to work as part of a small team onsite.
- Trustworthy and punctual, including being able to start work before 7am when required and trusted to open and close the site.
- Good knowledge, approach and understanding of health and safety within the Waste Management environment.
For more information on the role and key duties please see the job description and person specification.
- 25 days annual leave plus concessionary day (increasing to 27 days after 4 years service)
- Free on-site parking
- Staff benefits including, 4% employer company pension contribution, discounted gym membership, childcare voucher scheme and staff discount and many more.